Midaye Somali Development Network is pleased to announce the FGM Community Forum for the benefit of all those affected by FGM and for the protection of all the girls at risk. The Forum provides a grass-roots approach to voicing against the practice.
Definition: “Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) is all procedures that involve partial or total removal of the external female genitalia or other injury to the female genital organs for non-medical reasons” World Health Organisation (WHO)
FGM facts and figures:
- FGM is practiced by communities in many countries;
- One of the highest FGM practiced countries is Somalia;
- Over 20,000 girls in the UK are at risk of FGM every year;
- 3 million girls are at risk every year in Africa;
- 101 million girls aged 10 and above in Africa have undergone FGM;
- 140 million girls and women worldwide have undergone FGM.
“This is a forum for all FGM affected communities”
Date: Thursday 5th June 2014
Time: 10am – 12:30pm
Location: 7 Thorpe Close, London W10 5XL
The FGM Community Forum aims to:
- Create a platform to discuss the issue;
- Bring together people affected by FGM;
- Develop voice and unity against FGM within community;
- Share information and knowledge concerning FGM;
- Discuss the impact of FGM from individual and community levels;
- Give the community the opportunity to voice.
This is a multi-lingual forum, all information will be interpreted in two languages:
The forum is organised for:
- Kensington & Chelsea
- Hammersmith & Fulham
For more information please see FGM Community Forum poster.
All participants are requested to kindly register before joining the forum.
To Join the Forum please contact Midaye:
We look forward to your participation.